Sunday, October 10, 2021

Bantu proverbs from Cameroon (4)

Source: Proverbs from West Africa by C. J. Bender, 1924. Online at the Internet Archive. The book includes only the English text, and nothing more specific than "Bantu" for the source (there are several Bantu peoples who live in Cameroon). See more proverbs from this collection. I've made a slideshow just of this collection also (adding new slides gradually):

Bender was a missionary in Cameroon, and you can find out more about the peoples of Cameroon at Wikipedia.

Below are the proverbs I chose from this book; when I've rephrased, I've included the book's version in parentheses. If there is no version in parentheses, that means I didn't make any changes. You can see the whole slideshow here: African Proverbs.


"I never even liked fish." So said the crane after the fish got away.

("Why fuss about it? I never liked fish anyway," said the crane.)


Leopards and goats do not associate.

(Leopards and goats do not associate with each other in herds.)


The turtle hides his head in his shell.

[sometimes you need to keep your thoughts to yourself]


When peeling cassava, look out for your fingers!

(When peeling yam look out for your fingers!)


You want eggs? Take good care of the hen.

(Would you eat eggs? Then take care of the hen!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest Post:

Ballads: Willie o Winsbury

One of the new projects I want to start working on for 2022 is BALLADS, and I'm getting a bit of a head start now. My goal is to write u...