Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Tortoise the Blacksmith

This is my version of a public domain story: "A Chain of Circumstances" which is a Fang story from Nassau's Where Animals Talk: West African Folklore Tales. I have followed the original word by word while also feeling free to make my own changes and additions. This type of cumulative tale is my favorite type of folktale, and it is a very popular folktale form in Africa.


Tortoise the Blacksmith
and Cockroach's Wonderful Spear

Once upon a time, Tortoise was a blacksmith. 

Once day Cockroach came to Tortoise's workshop to sharpen his wonderful spear. Everyone in the whole wide world knew about Cockroach's wonderful spear, and they feared him because of it.

As Tortoise worked the bellows to make the fire hot, Cockroach looked out into the street and saw Chicken coming. Of all the people and all the animals in the whole wide world, Chicken was the only creature that Cockroach feared. He dropped his spear in a panic and said to Tortoise, “Help me, Tortoise! I see Chicken coming, and I'm afraid she will catch me and kill me. Where can I hide?"

"Don't worry," Tortoise told him. “Go and hide yourself there in the grass.” Cockroach immediately ran and hid in the grass.

Just as Cockroach managed to hide himself, Chicken walked into Tortoise's workshop. Seeing the spear lying on the ground, she said, "Hey, Tortoise! Is that Cockroach's wonderful spear lying there on the ground?"

"Yes," replied Tortoise. "Are you looking for him?"

"Yes, I am!" clucked Chicken. "Where is he?"

"He's hiding in the grass over there," said Tortoise, pointing to Cockroach's hiding place. Chicken ran to the grass, caught Cockroach, and swallowed him.

Just as Chicken was ready to resume her journey, Tortoise shouted, "Hey, Chicken! I helped you; now you help me. Come work the bellows for me to make the fire hot."

Chicken agreed, and as she stood there working the bellows, she looked out into the street and saw Wildcat coming down in the street. Of all the people and all the animals in the whole wide world, Wildcat was the only creature that Chicken feared. She stopped working the bellows and said to Tortoise, “Help me, Tortoise! I see Wildcat coming, and I'm afraid she will catch me and kill me. Where can I hide?"

"Don't worry," Tortoise told him. “Go and hide yourself there in the woodpile.” Chicken immediately ran and hid in the woodpile.

Just as Chicken managed to hide herself, Wildcat walked into Tortoise's workshop. Seeing the spear lying on the ground, she said, "Hey, Tortoise! Is that Cockroach's wonderful spear lying there on the ground?"

"Yes," replied Tortoise. 

"And where is Cockroach?" asked Wildcat.

"Chicken swallowed him," replied Tortoise.

Wildcat purred. "And where is Chicken now?" she asked.

"She's hiding in the woodpile over there," said Tortoise, pointing to Chicken's hiding place. Wildcat ran to the woodpile, caught Chicken, and ate her.

Just as Wildcat was ready to resume her journey, Tortoise shouted, "Hey, Wildcat! I helped you; now you help me. Come work the bellows for me to make the fire hot."

Wildcat agreed, and as she stood there working the bellows, she looked out into the street and saw Leopard coming down the street. Of all the people and all the animals in the whole wide world, Leopard was the only creature that Wildcat feared. She stopped working the bellows and said to Tortoise, “Help me, Tortoise! I see Leopard coming, and I'm afraid he will catch me and kill me. Where can I hide?"

"Don't worry," Tortoise told him. “Go and hide yourself there under that blanket.” Wildcat immediately ran and hid under the blanket.

Just as Wildcat managed to hide himself, Leopard walked into Tortoise's workshop. Seeing the spear lying on the ground, he said, "Hey, Tortoise! Is that Cockroach's wonderful spear lying there on the ground?"

"Yes," replied Tortoise. 

"And where is Cockroach?" asked Leopard.

"Chicken swallowed him," replied Tortoise.

"And where is Chicken?" asked Leopard.

"Wildcat ate her," replied Tortoise.

Leopard growled. "And where is Wildcat now?" he asked.

"She's hiding under the blanket over there," said Tortoise, pointing to Wildcat's hiding place. Leopard ran to the blanket, caught Wildcat, and devoured her.

Just as Leopard was ready to resume his journey, Tortoise shouted, "Hey, Leopard! I helped you; now you help me. Come work the bellows for me to make the fire hot."

Leopard agreed, and as he stood there working the bellows, he looked out into the street and saw the Hunter coming down the street. Of all the people and all the animals in the whole wide world, Hunter was the only creature that Leopard feared. He stopped working the bellows and said to Tortoise, “Help me, Tortoise! I see Hunter coming, and I'm afraid he will catch me and kill me. He's got a gun! Where can I hide?"

"Don't worry," Tortoise told him. “Go and hide yourself there behind the door.” Leopard immediately ran and hid behind the door.

Just as Leopard managed to hide himself, Hunter walked into Tortoise's workshop, carrying a gun on his shoulder. Seeing the spear lying on the ground, he said, "Hey, Tortoise! Is that Cockroach's wonderful spear lying there on the ground?"

"Yes," replied Tortoise. 

"And where is Cockroach?" asked Hunter.

"Chicken swallowed him," replied Tortoise.

"And where is Chicken?" asked Hunter.

"Wildcat ate her," replied Tortoise.

"And where is Wildcat?" asked Hunter.

"Leopard devoured her," replied Tortoise.

Hunter smiled. "And where is Leopard now?" he asked.

Tortoise did not say anything, so Hunter asked again. "And where is Leopard NOW?" he shouted.

"He's hiding behind the door over there," said Tortoise meekly, pointing to Leopard's hiding place. 

Then Hunter went and shot Leopard,
who had devoured Wildcat,
who had eaten Chicken,
who had swallowed Cockroach,
who owned the wonderful spear
that's still lying on the ground
in the workshop of Tortoise the blacksmith.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest Post:

Ballads: Willie o Winsbury

One of the new projects I want to start working on for 2022 is BALLADS, and I'm getting a bit of a head start now. My goal is to write u...